Award reimbursement policy
Award reimbursement policy
Reimbursement of travel award and grant funding is distributed by the ASBMB office in Rockville, Maryland, after the recipient’s participation in the meeting, including all programmed abstract presentations, required award activities and reporting, as detailed in each online award description.
Allowable travel-related expenses vary by award category. Please refer to the award description for specific exceptions to the following list of eligible, reimbursable travel expenses.
- Economy class airfare or train fare
- Pre- and post-meeting travel dates remain eligible for reimbursement. If you are traveling more than five days pre-meeting and five days post-meeting, contact firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of booking your travel.
- Open-jaw itineraries remain eligible for reimbursement. For example, fly from home city to the meeting city and return from a different city to home city, or fly from home city to the meeting city and return from the meeting city to a different city (not the home city). These examples of an open-jaw itinerary are eligible for reimbursement.
- Travel may be on the carrier of your choice. You may book travel using the website or travel agent of your choice. You must present a receipt that shows the passenger name, price paid, class of service, itinerary and travel dates.
- Baggage fees are eligible for reimbursement.
- Mileage and parking at hotel or convention center, if driving to/from the meeting (mileage includes gasoline expenses).
- Parking (home airport).
- Transfers between the airport/train station and hotel or convention center.
- Hotel expenses:
- To request reimbursement of housing expenses, housing MUST have been booked through the #DiscoverBMB Housing Bureau. Housing booked outside the #DiscoverBMB Housing Bureau is not eligible for travel award reimbursement.
- If sharing housing with another travel awardee, each awardee should submit the receipt with a note identifying the other awardee who stayed in the room and the amount each person paid for the housing.
- Housing one night pre- and/or post-meeting dates are eligible for travel reimbursement. Nights beyond this range are not eligible for reimbursement and are the travel awardee's responsibility.
Expenses that do not qualify for reimbursement include, and are not limited to:
- #DiscoverBMB meeting registration or networking reception fees.
- Abstract submission fees.
- Poster printing or shipping fees.
- Housing arranged outside of official #DiscoverBMB hotels. This includes other hotels as well as Airbnb, Vrbo and similar operations.
- Airfare outside of economy class.
- Transportation change fees or cancellation fees.
- Travel insurance.
- Meals, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Internet access fees or phone expenses.
- Parking violations or other citations or fines.
- Medical treatment, co-pays, medications, etc.
- Entertainment or souvenirs.
- International travel visa fees.
Instructions for completing the ASBMB travel reimbursement form
- All pertinent information must be filled in as requested.
- Forms may be entered and signed electronically or handwritten.
- Every expense claimed must be accompanied by a receipt. If you do not have a receipt, the expense cannot be claimed.
- Reimbursement is paid by check in U.S. dollars and will be mailed to the address provided on the reimbursement form. Information must be legible for request to be processed.
- The reimbursement check will be made payable to the individual award recipient. The reimbursement check may be made payable to the recipient’s institution if clearly stated on the reimbursement form.
- Expenses in excess of the award amount must be borne by the individual award recipient or the recipient’s institution.
- Deadline to submit travel award reimbursement requests: May 1, 2024.
- Due to the volume of reimbursement requests, expect processing of your request to take approximately 6–7 weeks.
- Every expense claimed must be accompanied by a receipt.
- If you do not have a receipt, the expense cannot be claimed.
National Institutes of Health fellows or any applicant affiliated with the NIH or other government organizations are strongly encouraged to check with their administrative office regarding the rules governing acceptance of reimbursable funding prior to submitting an application.
Reimbursement submission deadline: May 1, 2024
To submit a reimbursement request electronically
- Submit reimbursement requests by email to email@example.com.
- Both the completed reimbursement form and accompanying receipts MUST be combined into one PDF file. Do not attach separate files for receipts.
To submit a reimbursement request by postal service
- Receipts for claimed expenses must accompany the reimbursement request.
- All receipts must be organized and attached to the request or the request will NOT be processed — no exceptions.
- Make a copy of ALL documentation before mailing to the ASBMB office.
- Mail reimbursement documents to:
Attn: Discover BMB Travel Award Reimbursement
6120 Executive Blvd., Suite 400
Rockville, MD 20852