Award reimbursement policy
Award reimbursement policy
Reimbursement of travel award and grant funding is distributed by the ASBMB office in Rockville, Maryland, after the recipient’s participation in the meeting, including all programmed abstract presentations, required award activities and reporting, as detailed in each online award description.
The award recipient must complete, sign and mail an ASBMB reimbursement form (form distributed as instructed in the award notification email) along with original receipts to the ASBMB office.
Make a copy of all documentation before sending it to the ASBMB office.
- The average processing time from receipt of documentation in the ASBMB office to when a check is mailed is six weeks.
- Reimbursement is paid by check in U.S. dollars and will be mailed to the address provided at the top of the reimbursement form.
- Reimbursement may be requested for eligible expenses up to the maximum amount of the award/grant.
- Expenses in excess of the award amount must be borne by the individual award recipient or the recipient’s institution.
- The reimbursement check will be made payable to the individual award recipient. If clearly stated on the reimbursement form, a reimbursement check may be made payable to the recipient’s institution.
- Name and mailing address must be legible for request to be processed.
- No funds will be distributed prior to the meeting.
- No arrangements will be provided in-kind.
- Reimbursement documentation cannot be emailed or faxed. It must be mailed to the ASBMB office at the address below.
Allowable expensesAllowable travel-related expenses vary by award category. Please refer to the award description for specific exceptions to the following list of eligible, reimbursable travel expenses.
- Economy class airfare or train fare
- Pre- and post-meeting travel dates remain eligible for reimbursement. If you are traveling more than five days pre-meeting and five days post-meeting, contact email@example.com in advance of booking your travel.
- Open-jaw itineraries remain eligible for reimbursement. For example, fly from home city to the meeting city and return from a different city to home city, or fly from home city to the meeting city and return from the meeting city to a different city (not the home city). These examples of an open-jaw itinerary are eligible for reimbursement.
- Travel may be on the carrier of your choice. You may book travel using the website or travel agent of your choice. You must present a receipt that shows the passenger name, price paid, class of service, itinerary and travel dates.
- Baggage fees are eligible for reimbursement.
- Mileage and parking at hotel or convention center, if driving to/from the meeting (mileage includes gasoline expenses).
- Parking (home airport).
- Transfers between the airport/train station and hotel or convention center.
- Hotel expenses:
- To request reimbursement of housing expenses, housing MUST have been booked through the #DiscoverBMB Housing Bureau. Housing booked outside the #DiscoverBMB Housing Bureau is not eligible for travel award reimbursement.
- If sharing housing with another attendee, submit the receipt with a note detailing the other attendees who stayed in the room and the amount each person paid for the housing. If mutiple travel awardees are sharing a hotel room, one awardee must submit the original receipt, and the other must submit a copy of the receipt and note who submitted the original receipt.
- Housing one night pre- and/or post-meeting dates are eligible for travel reimbursement. Nights beyond this range are not eligible for reimbursement and are the travel awardee's responsibility.
- Meeting registration.
- Housing arranged via Airbnb, Vrbo (formerly HomeAway), and similar operations, as well as hotels outside the #DiscoverBMB block of meeting hotels.
- Nonrefundable abstract-submission fee.
- Poster printing or shipping fees.
- Meals/alcoholic beverages.
- Internet access or cell phone expenses.
- First-class airfare.
- Parking violations, bail, etc.
- Medical treatment, co-pays, medications, etc.
- Entertainment or souvenirs.
Submitting original receipts
- For expenses booked online, include a printout of the electronic receipt that includes name, airline, itinerary or location of stay, dates of travel/stay and amount paid.
- Every expense claimed must be accompanied by a receipt.
- If you do not have a receipt, the expense cannot be claimed.
National Institutes of Health fellows or any applicant affiliated with the NIH or other government organizations are strongly encouraged to check with their administrative office regarding the rules governing acceptance of reimbursable funding prior to submitting an application.
Reimbursement submission deadline: May 1, 2023
Make and keep a copy of all documentation before mailing.
Mail to the address below, postmarked no later than May 1, 2023.
Attn: Discover BMB Travel Award Reimbursement
6120 Executive Blvd., Suite 400
Rockville, MD 20852