The ASBMB is accepting applications for grant support to help offset the cost of dependent care to enable members to present their research at #DiscoverBMB.
The ASBMB Dependent-Care Grant is a reimbursable allowance of up to $1,000 toward one of the eligible scenarios detailed below. Funds may not be used for ongoing dependent-care expenses or the costs associated with transporting the dependent or the attendee to the meeting.
Submission of an application is not a guarantee of funding.
Grant requirements and eligibility
- ASBMB membership, active members in good standing. Renewal payments or new membership applications must be completed with dues paid at least two business days prior to submitting an application. Dues must be paid in full for the dues year January–December 2024.
- An abstract submission, as primary author (first author), by the abstract deadline of 11:59 p.m Eastern on Nov. 30.
- Priority will be given to students and early-career scientists.
- Eligible dependents are defined as the following:
- Children under the age of 16.
- Disabled child of any age.
- Spouse, partner or family member for whom the applicant is the primary caregiver.
- Only one grant per family will be awarded.
Participation requirementsGrant recipients are required to participate fully in the following activities. Failure to paticipate in the activities listed below will result in forfeiture of the grant.
- Presentation of submitted abstract during #DiscoverBMB 2024. Abstract programming notifications will be sent prior to the early registration deadline stating the date, time and format of scheduled presentation.
- Completion of post-conference survey.
Eligible funding scenarios
Funds may be applied to only one of the following eligible scenarios. Expenses in excess of the grant amount are the attendee’s responsibility. Funds may not be used toward expenses for transporting dependent or the attendee to the meeting.
Dependent care provider travels to attendee’s home
If the attendee must arrange for a family member or other caregiver to travel to the attendee’s home to care for the dependent while the attendee participates in the meeting, grant funds may be used for travel costs associated with one dependent caregiver’s travel from their home city to the attendee’s home. Grant funds may be applied toward caregiver’s economy class airfare or train fare, airport/station transfers, parking at caregiver’s home airport/station, or mileage and parking if driving to the attendee’s home. Expenses are reimbursable after attendee’s participation in the meeting and submission of original receipts and a completed ASBMB reimbursement form. Reimbursement form will be provided with the grant notification.
Dependent(s) travel to caregiver outside home community
If the dependent(s) will be cared for by a relative or other caregiver who resides outside the attendee’s community, grant funds may be applied to costs associated with transporting the dependent(s) to the caregiver’s home. Funds may be used toward dependent(s) economy class airfare or train fare, unaccompanied minor travel fees (where applicable) and airport/station transfers.
Dependent-care provider travels to meeting location to care for dependent(s)
When it is not practical for the dependent to remain at home, grant funds may be applied to the travel costs associated with a family member or other caregiver to travel to the meeting location to care for the dependent(s) while the attendee participates in the meeting. Funds may be used toward one caregiver’s economy class airfare or train fare, airport/station transfers, airport/station parking, mileage to/from airport/station, car rental expenses if driving to the meeting location, and on-site housing for the caregiver (if traveling separately and housed in a separate room from the attendee).
Funding may NOT be applied to the following
- Ongoing child care or nursing care an attendee would normally incur (e.g. before/after school care or nursing care retained on an ongoing basis).
- Any of the attendee’s expenses.
Information required for submission of application
- Successfully submitted abstract as primary author (first author).
- Statement explaining how meeting attendance will benefit applicant's professional development (500 characters maximum, not including spaces).
- Statement explaining how the funding will be used to support the care of your dependent (500 characters maximum, not including spaces).